Thursday, November 6, 2008

Here we are, there we go

So much has happened since my last post that I have been intimidated out of posting for a few days. But I suppose 'the times they are a changin'' and it is better to keep up as well as I can. So let us begin with Halloween.

Marga and the English teachers orchestrated a big Halloween bash for the kids. It took the whole afternoon period (3pm-5pm) and involved bringing 150 kids into a gym where we had set up 6 stations for them to visit. Card making, Halloween mask decorating, magic potion station, story station, mystery box and 'bobbing for apples.' I was in charge of the story station so I put together 2 stories to read to the varying levels. For the older kids I told a simplified version of Sleepy Hollow, complete with pictures and the galloping horse sound I learned from my Dad when I was little. For the younger kids it was a story about an old woman at her spinning wheel and the arrival of a strange visitor who came in pieces (feet, legs, body, etc. [vocab they knew]). The magic potion station was a big hit b/c the kids got to drink the Ghoulish Punch which resulted and they also got to try pumpkin seeds. Something which they found interesting. They also liked the mystery boxes, where they put their hands into boxes we had decorated that were filled with things such as a hairy pretend spider, bones, jello, noodles, etc. By far my favorite station, if for nothing else than the amusing 'lost in translation' nature of it was 'bobbing for apples.' When I first suggested the idea the teachers were all gung-ho for it, but they then decided it was too dangerous, so instead they decided that hiding candies in vats of flour and letting the kids nuzzle it out would get the idea across. I must admit I was a bit worried about flour paste suffocation but it worked out with no side problems aside from a flour fight at the end. All in all it was a great success. The kids had fun and we spoke to them in English for most of it. At least half the kids donned some piece of a Halloween costume and were quite pleased with themselves. There were a lot of witches and vampires and such but it is clear that an American conception of Halloween is catching on over here.

After this exciting Friday activity we had a 3 day weekend to play with so I opted for a walking visit to the grounds of Bellver Castle which sits on a hill overlooking the city of Palma. I am including a video I took from the top of the castle.
I then explored the grounds, which I pretty much had to myself as the rainy weather had scared almost everyone else indoors. Afterwards I engaged in one of my favorite exploring activities which involves taking various city buses out to their furthest point and then getting off and wandering around. The one I chose on that day took me out to Isletas to the farwest side of Palma where I watched the sea waves overtaking the beaches and walk ways and enjoyed the sea breeze and watching the locals delighting in the unusually active waters. I sat for about an hour, eating my bread and cheese and mandarines wondering at the temprament of the waters and enjoying the occasional sea froth which managed to jump the 10 foot wall on which I was perched and splashed my feet. At the end of the day I was surprised to touch my face and find it coated in salt. Proof of my outing and a very good day.

I have found there is something to the weather here. Whie various small cloud cells bring varrying degrees of rain, they are also broken up by spots of brilliant, piercing sunlight and blue skies. Watching the shadows of the clouds glide across the water and the mountains and the inevitable rainbows that result is utterly lovely. And it is a celestial blessing when, on an otherwise wet day, the sun breaks through and shines directly and exclusively on you as you are going about your daily business. A little kiss from heaven.

On Tuesday Cristina and I took our weekly outing and went to visit the village town of DeiĆ”, located on the west coast of the island in the Tramuntana mountains between Valldemossa and Soller. It is a tiny village known for being the village of the artists. Once there it was easy to see why. The town sits on a smooth little hill settled in a deep valley, surrounded on all sides by steep mountains with a perfect V shape view out to the sea. Houses were burning their fall leaf piles and I watched as these few columns of smoke rose upwards before being scattered into thin hazes by the winds which caught them just as they crested the mountain tops. We climbed to the top of the hill of the town to find the old cemetery where Robert Graves was burried. Being the day after the Day of the Saints, it was full of freshly deposited flowers and mementos. It was a beautiful peaceful place to spend a few moments of quite reflection on those in my life who have left this earth and to send thanks to them for their contributions to this earth and the people around me and, as such, making it possible for me to be here now, enjoying these moments in the capacity that I do.
Unlike most towns here, where the cemeteries are on the outskirts, the graveyard and adjoining church claimed the very top of the hill and center of the old village, commanding a gorgeous view of the surrounding mountains and the gorge which leads out to the sea. The hills were covered in mandarine and lemon trees, the ground carpeted by bright green undergrowth. The mountains rose into the deeper green of the larger trees and above that stood the windwept tops where the rocky earth stood out, spotted with low growing trees and shrubs. The sun set over the town, casting the old stone houses in the warmest hues of yellow and red and orange before relinquishing them to the cool shadows of evening.

Since then I have been busy in procuring clothing which befits the cooling weather. Turns out that just because these are Mediterranean islands does not mean it is always warm and temperate here. Apparently the winters here get down to around 10 degrees C of a very humid and bone chilling nature. As such I have been on the hunt for on sale sweaters, long pants and purchased a warm coat. All of this being brightened by the prospect of visits from a number of my most goodest favorite people ever! I am loved and blessed and more than thrilled to share it with you in any way possible.

~~~~~~~
Aside from these reflections and stories of my life, we are facing monumental changes in our own American culture. The election of Senator Obama to the position of President has been a matter of great excitement over here. Strangers on the street and in the supermarkets stop me to congratulate me on the election of Obama, so much so that it makes me wish that Presidential elections were international popularity contests because if so, we just won a big gold star. It will be interesting to see what this really means for us. Regardless of our individual sentiments on the matter, I think it says a lot about our country that we have elected a black man to the role of leader and face of our country.
And so again I say, 'the times they are a changin'.'

4 comments:

mle said...

I love reading you. I want to have a salt-covered face by your side and share your cheese ;) My attempts at humor are always embedded in a deep sentiment that I cannot express.

GDH said...

Thw halloween party sounds like fun. Wish i could have been there. I wonder what the children's parents thought about them coming home with flour all over them? :)

Kendall said...

It's great to get a video of castle and a view of Palma, but even better to see your smiling face.

When you talk with the kids, what language do you use?

Love,

Dad

Jeannine said...

Seeing your video made me cry. I am so glad I got to see you for awhile before you left. I so hope mom and dad enjoy their trip over there. I wish I could hug you. Love, Jeannine